Help for Dry, Sensitive, Ageing Skin
It’s quite a task to find an anti-ageing cream for sensitive skin: a product to do the work of plumping, smoothing, firming, evening skin tone, diminishing the appearance of lines and wrinkles, and providing broad-spectrum sun protection—while also calming redness, soothing skin, and not causing irritation. In part, that’s because no one product can do everything a good anti-ageing routine needs to accomplish. As a result, Paula’s Choice Skincare designed two kits especially for dry skin, each containing a few products designed to work together as an anti-ageing team.
In particular, what makes our RESIST anti-ageing line ideal for sensitive skin is that every product is fragrance-free, with textures appropriate for every skin type.
The RESIST Essential Kit for Normal to Dry Skin covers the skincare basics, for those who like a stellar, but quick, routine. The RESIST Advanced Kit for Dry Skin adds three more products for a bit more anti-ageing (and hydrating) oomph, both morning and night.
The Essential Kit includes a simple, three-step routine for a.m and p.m.: Cleanse, exfoliate, moisturiser, with sun protection during the day, and a boost of anti-ageing all-star ingredients at night.
- RESIST Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser has a moisturising, lotion-like texture that cleanses without leaving a tight feeling or an occlusive residue. Like the best anti-ageing cleansers, ours includes soothing ingredients that help preserve skin’s barrier while removing dirt, makeup, and other impurities.
- RESIST Daily Smoothing Treatment with 5% AHA. Alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs, most often glycolic acid or lactic acid) have been proven to help skin retain vital hydration, and are the gentlest way to exfoliate. They work by loosening the bonds between dead and living skin, so surface layers slough imperceptibly—the way skin behaves on its own, until age and sun damage slow the process. This leave-on exfoliant, when used once or twice per day, will give you smooth, even-toned skin with fewer visible signs of ageing. Our formula includes an anti-ageing cocktail of antioxidants, ceramides, and peptides to protect against environmental stressors and bind moisture for beautifully radiant skin.
*Note that glycolic acid can make skin more sun-sensitive, so in the daytime always be sure to follow with:
- RESIST Skin Restoring Moisturizer. This antioxidant-rich, emollient (but non-greasy) daytime moisturiser covers all the bases if you’re shopping for the best moisturiser for dry, sensitive ageing skin. It hydrates and protects with smoothing, anti-ageing ingredients like shea butter, licorice, and niacinamide.
- RESIST Barrier Repair Moisturizer replaces your SPF moisturiser as the last step in your evening routine. Its light lotion texture contains a moisture-enhancing, anti-ageing cocktail of ceramides, peptides, and antioxidants—combined with 0.01% retinol. Although that may seem like a minuscule amount of an ingredient shown to improve uneven skin tone, loss of firmness, wrinkles, large pores, and the appearance of thinning skin, research has revealed that concentrations as low as 0.01% are just as effective as higher concentrations, if used over time. Plus, those low concentrations are much less likely to irritate sensitive skin.
The RESIST Advanced Kit for Dry Skin adds two quick steps into your daily routines, and one occasional addition:
- After cleansing morning and night, apply RESIST Advanced Replenishing Toner. It’s loaded with moisturising omega fatty acids and replenishing antioxidants that help further protect skin’s barrier and lock in every bit of hydration.
- After your daily, leave-on exfoliation, apply RESIST Super Antioxidant Concentrate Serum for a visible boost of radiance.
- And, once per week (more often, if your skin needs it), use RESIST Weekly Resurfacing Treament with 10% AHA for a more dramatic (but still gentle) refining of skin’s surface texture.
References for this information:
PRS Global Open, December 2016, page e1152
International Journal of Molecular Science, 2016, issue 3, pages 401
International Journal of Cosmetic Science, August 2016, ePublication; February 2015, pages 455–464; and October 2009, pages 327–345
Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, October 2015, issue 8, pages 21–26
Clinical, Cosmetic, and Investigational Dermatology, December 2014, pages 9–17
Evidence Based Complementary Alternative Medicine, 2013, volume 2013, article 827248
Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, June 2013, issue 2, pages 96–102
Dermatology Research and Practice, May 2012, ePublication
About the Experts
Paula Begoun is the best-selling author of 20 books about skincare and makeup. She is known worldwide as The Cosmetics Cop and creator of Paula’s Choice Skincare. Paula’s expertise has led to hundreds of appearances on national and international radio, print, and television including:
The Paula's Choice Research Team is dedicated to busting beauty myths and providing expert advice that solves your skincare frustrations so you can have the best skin of your life!