How to Treat Dry Hands
Dry hands are a constant struggle, but there are solutions within reach! Perhaps just like you, we felt as though we’d tried everything, but finally realised that the secret isn’t just finding the best hand cream; it’s the preventive steps and behavioral changes that ensure dry, cracked hands (including dry fingertips) don’t keep happening.
Tips for Softer Hands
- Always protect your hands from exposure to dish detergent, laundry detergent, and household cleansers that contain bleach or ammonia. Wear kitchen gloves when you’re using such products.
- Wash your hands less often. Excessive handwashing strips skin of vital moisture, and it’s made worse when the hand wash you use contains strong detergents and fragrance, which most do.
- Use hand sanitiser less often, and switch to an alcohol-free hand sanitiser. Routine exposure to the amount of alcohol found in most hand sanitisers can cause or worsen dryness and cracked skin.
- Our trick to stop the cycle of rough hands: Switch from your liquid or bar hand soap to an emollient body wash such as Dove Sensitive Skin or Olay Ultra Moisture. Place these types of products strategically throughout your home and your hands will thank you!
- Wear outdoor work gloves when you’re doing manual chores such as yard work and gardening; wear sport-type gloves when golfing or engaging in other athletic activities.
- The sooner you get a replenishing cream on your hands after washing, and the longer you can keep it on, the better. Any good, emollient moisturiser will work—it doesn’t have to be labeled “hand cream.”
Another thing you can do is keep small tubes or bottles of moisturiser all over the house, including near the kitchen sink, in the bathroom, at your bedside, and in the garage. Keep more in your car, purse, briefcase, and desk drawer. Essentially, a hand moisturiser should always be within reach, and for daytime use, remember to follow up with a broad-spectrum sunscreen layered on top.
Best Products for Dry, Cracked Hands
What else can you do? We’ve been there with dry, cracked hands—through trial and error, and by consulting the scientific research, we’ve got more advice to share:
- Paula’s Choice LIP & BODY Treatment Balm is excellent to use at night. Dab it on especially dry, rough areas, including cracked fingertips. Seal in the benefits (and keep your sheets clean) by putting on a pair of lightweight cotton gloves before getting into bed.
- Consider an over-the-counter cortisone cream to reduce cracks that occur. Cortisone creams should be used only on a short-term basis (no more than 2–3 months), and should be applied before your hand cream.
- If the cracks are deep and you’re worried about them becoming worse, ask your healthcare provider or pharmacist about applying a liquid bandage product to seal the area and help it heal faster.
- Severely dry hands can benefit from overnight treatment with moisture-infused gloves. These unique gloves are lined with a synthetic material that slowly releases moisturising ingredients as they are worn. You can use them with or without a separate moisturiser.
- Don't forget your cuticles! Massage a bit of extra moisturiser or balm into the cuticles to keep them from becoming rough and ragged. Our CLINICAL Ultra-Rich Soothing Body Butter and LIP & BODY Treatment Balm are both great for keeping cuticles in top shape.
References for this information:
Indian Journal of Dermatology, May-June 2014, pages 213–224
Dermatitis, July-August 2013, pages 170–175
International Journal of Cosmetic Science, October 2012, pages 402–415
Contact Dermatitis, May 2012, pages 247–253
BMC Dermatology, February 2006, ePublication
About the Experts
Paula Begoun is the best-selling author of 20 books about skincare and makeup. She is known worldwide as The Cosmetics Cop and creator of Paula’s Choice Skincare. Paula’s expertise has led to hundreds of appearances on national and international radio, print, and television including:
The Paula's Choice Research Team is dedicated to busting beauty myths and providing expert advice that solves your skincare frustrations so you can have the best skin of your life!